The Star of the Sea Catholic Primary School community is committed to providing our students with relevant and contemporary experiences that will allow them to successfully engage with a variety of technologies as we prepare them for life in the 21st century. Information and Communication Technology (ICT) plays a vital part in the teaching and learning programs at our school.
We seek to develop learners who will take responsibility and ownership for their learning as we recognise and address the need to prepare them for a world in which they will be required to work cooperatively with others, as a team, to make and then solve complex problems.
At Star of the Sea ICT is used to:
- Develop technological and information literacy skills.
- Enhance literacy and numeracy skills through the integration of ICT into the teaching and learning programs.
- Develop higher order thinking and critical thinking through the efficient use of electronic devices for investigations.
- Develop independent and interdependent learners and creative thinkers.
- Encourage and develop student centred learning.
- Promote collaborative learning.
- Develop skills for life long learning as we encourage students to take control of their own learning.
- Develop problem solving skills.
- Develop the skills and ability to select reliable and relevant data from a variety of sources and to gather, sort, produce and disseminate information.
- Promote responsible digital citizenship.
- Support differentiated learning programmes in the classroom.
In 2012 our school made the transition from Windows PCs to MacBook Pros for use by students and staff. We run a dual boot which allows use of both Windows and Mac platforms. We have also purchased iPads for use in the classrooms, specialist areas and in the library. All classrooms from Pre Primary to Year 6 are equipped with iPads and interactive whiteboards (IWBs). Reflector apps on Macbooks allow for iPad creations to be displayed on the IWB. Our Kindy rooms have Apple TVs and screens for display from iPads and computers. Pre-Kindy has iPads and IWB.
In 2013 we increased the amount of iPads in each classroom and we have the facility of a teacher who assists staff and students to integrate and use ICT in the classroom across learning areas in line with best practice.